Friday, December 3, 2021

"Anyone can take pictures. What's difficult is thinking about them, organizing them, and trying to use them in some way so that some meaning can be construed out of them. That's really where the work of the artist begins."  Lewis Baltz

What I've quoted above is intriguing because I hadn't thought about the why of making photographs from that point of view..  I look for compositions all the time...images with or without a camera...and try to preserve what I've seen so I can continue to enjoy them and share with others either as prints or online. But, deriving or imposing meaning has never been a factor. I suppose it involves making the images fit into a project that can wear a title.  It's a challenge to be free of an imposed theme before making the photograph, but creative enough after the fact to find one if one is there. I have to think about what's quoted above some more to even fully understand it in its several dimensions. I'm familiar with some very well known photographers whose images strike me as quite weak, but because they've put them in a book with an organizing principle, they're celebrated. I have no such ambition, but I am going to pursue this notion anyway and see where it takes me. 

Bach's Goldberg Variations are brilliant, all in G major, organized and varied by tempo, but there is no meaning whatsoever; their storied soporific genesis is a lie. They're just deeply satisfying to listen to!  

No comments: