Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Eventually I'll sort through all the Kingsley photographs I've posted here, and select the ones I like the most and submit them with an essay somewhere.  But, it will probably be many months to a year before that happens.  They seem to almost self sort into abstracts and documents, and I can't bring myself to favor one approach over the other.  The abstracts neglect the reality of what these cabins were, but the documents ignore their abstract beauty.  So, the project may have to have two separate but equal parts, and I use that phrase with full awareness of its provenance.  The legacy of slavery was institutionalized racial segregation, and it has only been a few decades since that abhorrent practice was abolished by the Supreme Court.  Even today the foul stench of racism has not been fully cleansed from the air. 





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The book "Complicity" by Farrow, Lang & Frank (available at Kinglsey St. Park bookstore), is a sobering revelation for us transplanted Northerners.

John Voss said...

Thanks. I'll get it next time I'm there which will be a few days from now when it's raining. One fact that I've recently discovered is how much slavery was a northern industry as well as a southern one. The big difference is that it was abolished in the northern states by laws, and in the southern states by war.

Anonymous said...

As far as having two separate categories in your images, you might consider the close-up images as documenting the materials and their usage; and not just abstract images. Your essay and image descriptions could fill in for what the image doesn't automatically convey.

John Voss said...

You're right, A. But, I wouldn't label the photographs one way or another. It's obvious that the abstracts are indeed that, and the documents not so. The sorting is for me to free myself of concern about doing an injustice to the reality of these structures. And, yes, the essay would serve to explain what the pictures might not. The era of self explanatory photography is in eclipse as far as a series is concerned. Thank you for your thoughts!