Thursday, August 11, 2011

As I wrote in my last post, summer light isn't the best for the kinds of photographs I prefer to make (and to look at for that matter).  So I've been casually reviewing negatives that have accumulated over the last decade that I've never printed or even scanned to proof .  I came across the photograph below that was taken in March of 2000, and I think I know why I didn't print it at the time. I was using pre-cut mats to mount my prints which pretty much required that I utilize the full, or nearly full negative.  Ever since I learned to cut my own, and acquired the mat cutter to do it with, I've felt totally liberated to arrange and crop the original as I choose.  This had stuff in it I couldn't exclude when I took it because of my Hudson riverbank point of view.  But I just finished printing it with judicious cropping.  This is a negative scan that very closely emulates the physical print except for the toning which is a bit different from the print due to my minimal photoshop skills.   



2 comments:

dvoss said...

John, I haven't been able to look at your photoblog for awhile. It continues to please me to see the lyrical elegance and beauty in your photos . I like this cityscape, the late summer, plant filled shoreline and the wonderful clouds over the ocean in Florida. I always like the trees and waterways as I also ( is it genetic?) have a deep love and need for them.

John Voss said...

Thanks, Dottie. I'm glad you visited here.