Monday, June 22, 2009

These three photographs were made a little over a week ago when I first noticed how over-its-banks the Wallkill River had become from preternaturally heavy rains. But now the rains have continued, and I'm going to have to go check out how much higher the water may have risen out where these were taken (very near Montgomery, NY where our gallery is located). I'm not used to seeing tree trunks in water, and their lower hanging branches bobbing in the rapid flow, so there may be some more good stuff to photograph.

They are scans of 4x5 negatives made with the Shen Hao and my 250mm Fujinon lens that I love to use. But....that is one big honkin lens, and the Benro K-2 ball head just isn't doing the job of holding it very well, so I'm going to return to using the Bogen 410 geared head that is as rigid as a wingnut conspiracy theorist. I paid less than $100 for the Benro (only to then read that some consider it to be a GPS..and no, I do not refer to the satellite guidance thingie.) and it works very well with my other two medium format cameras, so I still feel it's an okay piece of kit, but if I win the lottery, I'm going to get me one whoop-di-doo Arca Swiss B-1 or B2 that'll hold a howitzer in a hurricane. But there's that pesky hurdle of first winning the lottery ....sigh!! (Must remember to buy ticket...must buy ticket...must buy ticket....!!!)













3 comments:

dvoss said...

Life is short...buy the whoop de doo Arca Swiss B-1 or B-2....then you can take pictures in a running gale...

zz said...

John - these shots are great. Keep up the good work! You're a great inspiration. Just bought a dry mount press and have been learning how to use it. Also - just got my darkroom (in the basement) cleaned out and it's back in working condition. It's a good place to be in these hot days of St. Louis summers (its hot down here).

John Voss said...

Dottie, I've reconsidered the gale thing...even if the camera survives, I doubt I would. Arca Swiss is the Rolex of good camera gear. I don't own a Rolex either (I DO have a couple of watches with "ex" at the end, but the first three letters are "Tim"...darn!)

Thanks, Dave. If you get some of your work on-line, please send me a link.